So I’ve been in BA for three weeks now. Aside from the fact that my Spanish has not improved one bit, I feel like I’ve made quite a lot of progress here. I can more or less navigate Palermo without a map now (although I have absolutely no clue about the rest of the city), and I feel a lot less like an tourist now that I have an actual job!
Here are some things I have achieved over the last few weeks:
1. Visited practically every coffee shop, café and restaurant in Palermo. We are regulars at Ninina (great burger photo in my last post) and Birkin Coffee, and are working our way around the area. There are places I go for the coffee, others for the cake, and some for the chilled working vibe and good internet connection (ie Le Pain Quotidien – always a fave). Here are some classic food pics for the (few) Deliciously Eliza fans among you, feat: Dashi Sushi, Fifi Almacen, Ninina, Malvon and many more.
2. Tried out a few more speakeasy bars. We have yet to visit Franks, although I am desperate to go – you have to know the secret password to get in. Since my last post, we have been to 878, Isabels and Victoria Brown, but I think Floreria Atlantico is still my favourite.
3. Been to a couple of art galleries.
Our first trip was to MALBA (Latin American art museum), but the majority of the gallery was devoted to one random dude, and there were only a couple of paintings by the classic 20th century artists like Freida Kahlo. A good thing to have seen, though.
We also made the most of the free entry on a Tuesday to MAMBA (Modern Art museum). There was an exhibition of artwork inspired by Sonia Delaunay, alongside a couple of slightly eccentric modern collections… I’m not sure how much I loved any of it, but it was still a fun morning out.
4. Been on a guided tour of the Teatro Colon, the largest opera house in the world. Fun fact: the theatre was built by three different architects, since the first two both died suddenly aged 44. Spooky, huh?
5. Visited the San Telmo Market via Hierbabuena restaurant, my new fave place. It’s kind of out of our way, but we had to go back after our MAMBA visit because their flavoured lemonades and aubergine spread are just too good.
6. Been to the amazing improvised drum show, La Bomba del Tiempo. It is very hard to describe how cool it is, but this is definitely something to do if you’re ever travelling through BA and have a free Monday night.
7. Stayed up all night at Terrazas del Este, an amazing outdoor party by the sea. Afterwards, we went and sat by the beautiful lake in the Rose Gardens and contemplated life. Safe to say I’m quite happy here!
8. Completed two weeks of work at The Bubble. I’ve written a few articles, but none of them are particularly thrilling…You must read the website though – the other writers have posted some fascinating articles recently!
My walk to work is kinda pretty, though.
9. Signed up for Spanish classes at Expanglish school. My Spanish isn’t exactly improving much at the moment, but hopefully a few hours of intensive conversation lessons will help me a bit.
10. Booked a trip to the Iguazu Falls and Rio Carnaval. We leave next Sunday!
I’m still loving it here. The lifestyle is as laid back as ever, and I have settled in very nicely. I am already worried that two months is no where near enough time to spend here!
Next post will be about our week away – get excited!!